Saturday, March 26, 2011

1821

So yesterday was the national day of Greece (the spring one, they have another one in October).I asked Nasia to tell me about the national day. This is what she told me:

”Turkey had come, they wanted our country. For some years we were with the turks. We started an επανάσταση (revolution) saying ”We want our country back!!” Then we started war and so on.” ”And then you got your country back?” I asked. ”Yeah, something like that” she replied.


For us the day started in the church with... well I don't really know since it's all in Greek... but the priests were reading prayers and blessings, someone was going around taking up an offering and sprinkle water at the peoples hands, nice smelling water.

Then we went to the square where they were putting wreaths in memorial of those who died in the war.

Then the highlight of the day: the parade. Nasia have been a good student so she was allowed to carry “the flag”, she did it very good! She was beautiful in her national dress and we're all proud of her.

Then we did something almost as good, we were having ice cream!! :-)

Outside the church they put a basket with buns, the kids were quick to find them.
Waiting for the parade to begin.At the square


The yellow one read : I am the light of the world. Lena was very proud that she could read it on her own! The blue one sais: Keep your hands clean but also your heart
(or something. And you can read it backwards and it still reads the same, cool huh.)

But it was not all fun this day, my friends that's been visiting us went back to Athens and are going back home tomorrow, have a good flight! It was great having them here and I'm glad they were able to come all the way to see us!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I had a wonderful time visiting! And I, too, am impressed with your Greek and knowledge of the culture. I made it home safely to Wisconsin, but wish I could come back and visit! My sister loved her marble stone and was so impressed I included the Greek letters of her sorority. I will post about the trip on my blog soon.