Monday, April 22, 2013

A land in need

Greece is for sure a land in crises. There has been a big change just this past year that we have been gone. Things are more simple, poorer... In the stores you find less extras and more empty shelves. People are taking care of more and more land to grow their own vegetables. Our hotel room is cold, but this is how many Greeks live all winter, of course because the houses are poorly built -not suited for the winter, but also because they can't afford the petrol. One man we know, 84 years old, is going out in the forest to find wood to heat his house.
But Greeks are use to a simple life and to live day by day. Sometimes we find their lifestyle lazy but it's something we very well could learn from -to live one day at the time. To enjoy the now. And most people I know are not lazy but hard working, especially now as the summer season is beginning and many are working hours that the Swedish unions never would allow.
Anyhow we can only thank God that he's word still is true. What he was telling the Israelites in their captivity is also true to us whatever hardship we are facing. “I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and go and pray to me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek me and find me, when you search for me with all your heart.” (Jer 29:11) So let our hearts be turned towards God whether we are in need or with plentiful to have his peace in our hearts and looking forward to the hope he is giving us.

No comments: